Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Kona Blog Post #2







I have completely enjoyed my time thus far in Kona. After getting settled in, I have been able to get in my training, and more importantly, rest and recover as I get ready for Saturday's race. When it comes to rest, it is actually more important than the training during the last 10 days. My everyday schedule in normal life is pretty aggressive and dynamic. If there is one thing that is not optimal in my training, it is my ability to adequately rest the way that is appropriate for the amount of training I lay down week to week. This week has been great in that I have been able to truly rest. A couple of weeks ago, I was still training with a pretty considerable amount of volume, but my work travel was the same so there was definitely some sleep missed and have accumulated an appreciable amount of fatigue. Being able to lay around mid day and take big naps has been huge. This is one of the few times I allow myself to be lazy. It feels great!

There is definitely a buzz happening here in Kona this year. I always write about how the town comes alive slowly from the weekend prior through the week. I was commenting to a friend of mine yesterday that the crowds seem to be here a bit earlier this year. I don't remember it being this alive this soon. Of course, that could just be my perception and not the reality. I never get over how bloody fit everybody looks walking up and down the street. It is really something to see. I know of no other town where it is completely acceptable to cruise around town in nothing but a speedo. We swam at "Dig Me Beach" yesterday. It is always fun to get in and swim the course or portions of it. The most fun part is the people watching. I will start to lay low the further we get into this week, so as to stay off my legs and out of the heat, but it is really fun to check out the whole Ironman scene. It is something one has to see if they come to the race.

The race. As I get closer, I can tell I am getting more amped about getting this thing rolling. Our training gets shorter in duration with pieces of sharper intervals to both shed the fatigue from the big weeks of training while sharpening and ensuring we activate all three energy systems and recruit all our muscle groups to keep that engine idling for the big day Saturday. The key during a proper taper is to keep the engine idling without either removing the key and letting the engine stall or more likely, burning matches by getting excited about being here and digging into our fitness a little to ensure it is still there. The latter is very easy to do. As one feels better and more rested, the natural energy of this place, along with the caliber of athletes, creates the perfect environment to go harder than is appropriate.

The social side of this race is by far my favorite part of the pre race life. I have seen so many folks the last few days that I only see at the big races. Yesterday, I got the chance to meet up with one of my mentors in this sport and one of the guys I respect the most. Eric Hodska and I met while coaching a camp together almost 7 years ago. Eric is a personal trainer and triathlon coach from Connecticut. He is a family man and speaks non-stop about how crazy he is about his wife Lisa and kids. His balanced approach to our sport is something I really admire. It is very easy to go OCD about Ironman and start blocking out stuff in our life that is clearly more important. Eric does not make that mistake, yet is still one of the best age groupers around. He has competed here in the lava 9 times and his age group record still stands for his performance a few years back at Ironman Lake Placid. It was awesome to grab a cup of joe with him and solve the world's problems.

Another one of my mentors arrived last night and I cannot wait to see him today. I met Bob Korock through a mutual friend back in 2006 and he was my coach for over 2 years. I still reach out to him regularly to keep me on track and to ensure I am not doing anything stupid with my training. I have written a ton about Bob in the past and we coached a camp together in his home town of Lodi in 2011. Bob is a former pro, and in my opinion, one of the true sages in our sport and in my life. We text back and forth all the time and our friendship gets deeper each year. I dig that.

That leads me to a topic that just dropped into my grape. One of my anchor themes these days is authenticity. Authenticity is a key component to how I want to live my life. I want to be authentic in all I do. Inauthentic relationships are no way to go about life, if you are asking me. Twelve years ago or so, I used to do some negotiating and collective bargaining for a major union in my profession. My major take away from that role was the temporary and tenuous nature of the friendships formed. Those friendships all hinged on what my positions were on various issues, and a good number of the folks I dealt with were solely my friends based on my role within the union. What a bullshit way to go through life. I apologize to bluntly spurt it out in such vulgar terms, but that is exactly what that life was for me-bullshit. I want a life that is authentic! What you see is what you get. If you are talking with me or we are training, flying, whatever- it is authentic and real. That is what I enjoy with the friendships I enjoy today- they are authentic. The two gents I mentioned this morning are exactly that, and that is why I love my life.

Today should be another dream day here in Kona. I plan on running and swimming and continuing to sharpen up for Saturday. I am excited what today will hold, as every day has held something to truly be happy about. The sun comes up in an hour and then I will get out there on the road. I can't wait to get this day rolling!

Shaka,
Jonser

No comments: