Monday, July 18, 2011

Operation Rio De Janeiro: the 5th World Military Games- Post #1

This whole Rio adventure began sometime last summer when the All-Navy Endurance sports coach, Jim Felty, called me and told me that he would not be able to attend the World Military Games in Brazil as he had family commitments that precluded him from making the trip. I was honored that he would think of me, and so that is how I find myself on this wonderful journey as the Team Captain of the All Armed Forces Triathlon Team.

This adventure started last weekend in Annapolis with a 4 day training camp for the athletes. It actually turned out really well. The athletes turned up fit and ready to roll straight out of the gate. We got in some great swims at the Naval Academy pool and some terrific group rides on a loop that one of the Naval Academy grads taught us. We trained through the day and ate as a team at night. It was a ton of fun. The weather was rocking and that just made it all the sweeter. I have been to Annapolis before, but have never spent much time there. If for some reason I had to work in DC, I would live in Annapolis. It reminds me of Coronado, California with a traditional east coast vibe. It is truly a lovely place.
Our trek to Brazil was a 25 hour adventure with a serious bag drag in there. We were loaded down with bikes, wheels, two weeks of gear, Team USA garbalia, the works. I don’t think I have ever lugged that much stuff from one place to another by air. This was even after I packed a box of things I didn’t think I would need after Annapolis and sent it home! We flew to Miami and then after a 5 hour sit we flew to Rio where we sat for another three and a half hours before we were bused to the Athletes Village.

Have you ever shown up at a friend’s BBQ or party an hour or so early by accident and they were expecting you but they aren’t truly prepared for your arrival? That is what it was like for us getting here on the 13th. Rooms weren’t ready, no food for the first 5 to 6 hours, no hot water- the list goes on. We were roughing it for a bit and we were wondering if the Brazilians were going to be able to conduct a sporting event of this magnitude. It was so bad that the Chinese athletes literally slept along the road outside the Athlete Village and the Chileans slept on the bus that brought them from the airport. We have since come to learn that the contracting company in charge of throwing this shindig walked off the job 10 days prior to the athletes arrival here at the Village. Can you imagine? Here is where I have to just take my hat off to the Brazilians and the delegation as a whole. 10 days prior they get left high and dry and by four days into our stay all systems are go.

When we first arrived, we ate beans and rice along with chicken, coffee and bananas with some different assortments of bread for all three meals. We now have the full spread of plentiful choices, and gifts at the door in the morning when we arrive at the dining facility! God Bless em. It gets a little better every day and we are having a fantastic experience.

I will post more in the coming days now that we have hot water, wireless, viable training venues, and all the other basics that make a two week visit to this wonderful country memorable.

More later…

No comments: